- 1 lb Salmon Fillet
- 1/2 cup Maple Syrup
- 2oz quality Spiced Rum
- 1T Dehydrated Minced Onion (or minced shallot)
- 1t fresh minced Ginger
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1t Soya Sauce
- 1/2t Chili Powder
- 1/2t Salt (preferably Kosher)
- 1/4t Pepper
- Coarse sea salt – for plank
- Soak cedar plank in water for 1-2 hours minimum (or overnight). You may have to weigh it down to stay in the water.
- In a small saucepan, combine Maple Syrup, Rum, Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Soya Sauce, Chili Powder, Salt & Pepper.
- Heat over medium-low heat until reduced by half, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool completely.
- Once cool place Salmon in Ziplock bag – pour in cooled glaze. Working gently, remove as much air as possible and place in fridge for 1hr.
- Heat grill to medium heat, about 400°F.
- Once preheated – place cedar plank on grill – leave for 5 mins to remove initial moisture.
- Sprinkle plank lightly with coarse sea salt – helps fillet from sticking and adds flavor.
- Carefully remove fillet from ziplock (reserving glaze)
- Place salmon, skin side down, on the cedar plank.
- Brush reserved glaze.
- Grill salmon 15 min, or until it is cooked to your desired doneness, brushing with sauce every 5 minutes or so.
- Remove from grill.
- Slide a thin spatula under the fillet to remove . Serve immediately.
- Skinless fillets will work for this recipe as well
- Dehydrated onion can be replaced with fresh minced shallot
- This recipe can also be done in a cast iron skillet in the oven. Follow steps 2-4. Preheat oven to 400. Remove from ziplock place in cast iron skillet. Reserving glaze. Brush salmon with remaining glaze. Bake 15 mins or desired doneness. Slide a thin spatula under the fillet to remove . Serve immediately.