- 1 Cup Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
- ¼-½ Teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ Teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Cup Greek Style Yogurt*
- ½ cup Sugar (for coating)
- 1-2L Canola or Vegetable Oil for Frying will vary based on what you are using to cook in
Makes ~12 small donuts (depends on cutter size)
- Combine Flour, Salt, Baking powder & Cinnamon in a medium bowl and mix until combined.
- Add yogurt to the dry ingredients and mix until the dough forms
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth
- Shape into a ball
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for a min of 30 mins
- Preheat oil to 350 degrees. You want 1 ½ to 2 inches of oil in a heavy deep pot, deep cast iron pan or deep fryer. Do NOT leave oil unattended.**
- Roll chilled dough out onto a lightly floured surface to 1 cm thick
- Using a donut cutter or other small round cutter (you can even use a small glass for the outside and an apple corer for the inside) make as many donuts as you can. Keep the whole donut shapes and donut holes.
- Remove any excess dough from around the donuts & holes and put to the side. You can make a ball out of the excess and repeat steps 7 and 8 until you have used all the dough.
- Carefully place 3-4 donuts in the preheated oil. Watch not to get oil splattered on you. You can put the donut on a slotted spoon and slowly place it in the oil.
- Move the donuts around in the oil to prevent the dough from sticking to the bottom.
- Turn them over at least once. Remove from the oil when golden brown and place in a metal bowl
- Sprinkle the warm donuts with sugar and toss gently to ensure they are well coated.
- Repeat steps 10-13 with the donut holes. Note they may cook a bit faster than the donuts.
- *can be made Lactose Free by substituting for Lactose Free Greek Style Yogurt
- **Very important to use a thermometer to monitor the temperature of the oil as it can cause fire if not monitored. Never leave unattended.